A Universal Prayer for Every Mother Who Desires Her Children Have a Strong Sibling Bond

My sister and I always wanted a brother. Not in a little way, but in a big way. As in, I would lie and tell people my mom was pregnant. With a son. More often than I would like to admit. Just ask my childhood friends, God bless their souls for sticking it out with me.

I don’t know exactly what started this burning desire with us or myself; I imagine it was because my sister and I loved each other and wanted to have just ONE more sibling to love on. And to mother, I’m sure. So a brother seemed like the perfect fit.

But we never got our brother. I think that’s why I always said I wanted three boys. I wanted to give my children ample siblings so they would never be left wanting like we were. (Or lying in my case.)

Because to me siblings are one of the greatest gifts ever. They are a partner in life from day one. They are someone who is there by your side through thick and thin. And while they may get so angry at you they cannot even see straight, they can also step forward to defend your honor the next second. The one and only time I was ever willing to get in a fist fight was over my sister, and I’m scared of flies. So that should say something.

Because sibling love at its best, how I believe God created to be, can be a testament of what love is meant to be. Without boundary to loyalty or lengths of sacrifice. Without conditions or barriers as to what is deserved.

But as we know, sibling relationships at their worst can go awry. The ones who know you best can hurt you worst. The loyalty you once gave each other may die out due to hurt, conflict or unspoken pain.

And as a mother, that thought breaks my heart, which is why I want to pray away that conflict from ever taking place. And I want you to do the same. So join me today in praying this prayer over your children for the strength of their bond to continue to grow from today into the years to come.

 

Dear Lord,

You have given me the gift of my precious children, and I praise you for them.  I thank you for them as individuals and for them as a unit. I pray for them to remain healthy and strong as they grow into adults. May your hands of protection cover them today and for the years to come.

Lord, I ask that you bless their relationship with one another. I ask that you allow each one of them to grow into an appreciation of what their brother or sister has to offer them. I pray that you give them an understanding of what a gift it is to have a sibling to share life with. Lord, help them to identify their brother or sister a blessing.

Lord, I pray that when bickering begins, they have the ability to stop and realize that they have a choice. They can treat their sibling badly because they can get away with it, but I ask that they choose a different path. I ask that they choose to show respect and love to their sibling because they recognize that their sibling is who they get to share life with. And that is a gift to be appreciated instead of taken for granted.

May you allow them to appreciate each other’s differences instead of being frustrated by them. May you allow them to blend when their similarities may cause them strife instead of benefit. Give them insight to understand each other and themselves so that they know whom their sibling is both good and bad. And help them to choose love despite their sibling’s flaws.

I pray that they can be strong influences over one another. I pray that they can each be Godly (women/men) as they grow. And I pray that they lead each other back into a love for you when one is falling away.

Lord, I pray that when one is falling into some kind of temptation and feels uncomfortable talking with me, I ask that they can feel comfortable to talk with their sibling. And when that time comes, I pray that you give that sibling sound advice in what to respond and how to guide their brother or sister in a Godly way.

I pray that when they need a friend that their sibling can be a sounding board for them. A person whom they can call or text and will take the time to care for them. I pray that they realize that even though friends can come and go, a sibling is always there.

And lastly, I pray that long after I’m gone that you use them as team to make a big impact on this world. Use their individual gifts and passions to work together to shine your light. Whether that means they are championing each other on in their separate pursuits or if they choose to reach out and pursue something together, let them be each other’s biggest fans as they seek to honor you.

Thank you for my children. May they always be thankful for each other too.

In Jesus’ Name,

Amen.

sharing is caringlogo

Author Bio: Quinn is a wife, blogger and boymom with a degree in marriage & family therapy. 99% of her time is spent keeping her four boys alive and the other 1% is spent writing about their crazy times in her blog called Sanctification and Spitup also found on FacebookPinterest and Instagram. Give her a follow today. 💕

Advertisements

Posted by

Quinn is a wife, blogger and boymom with a degree in marriage and family therapy. 99% of her time is spent keeping her four boys alive and the other 1% is spent writing about their crazy times in her blog called Sanctification and Spitup also found on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram. If you want to instantly feel better about the hecticness of your life, give her a follow to see it could be much worse. (She only wishes she was kidding.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s